March 22, 2010

Hot Cross Buns

One a penny, two a penny.....

Hello food lovers!
Hot Cross Buns have long been a symbol of Good Friday. There are
also many superstitions surrounding hot cross buns, like giving a piece to someone who is ill helps them recover. These tasty gems are said to protect against shipwreck and if hung in the kitchen, they may protect against fires and ensure that all breads turn out perfectly! If you are intrigued by Hot Cross Bun history, the internet is a rich resource. If you want to taste one, please give me a call at our kitchen (317) 396-5310 in the next few weeks - I will let you know when they are HOT out of the oven! You can also check our our special Easter holiday treats on our website alancaters.com.

My recipe begins with a basic sweet yeast dough to which I add an extra egg and rum-soaked dried currants... but not too many or it makes the bun too sweet. Fresh currants, on the other hand, have a tart flavor which is excellent in fresh fruit dishes, jams and jellies. We use the red currants from our garden to make a garnet hued jelly in mid-summer.

Traditional recipes call for cinnamon powder to be added to the dough, but I find that this retards the yeast. So, I add a bit of aromatic cinnamon oil to my icing. There is nothing quite like these fragrant, soft and spicy homemade buns. The wonderful smell takes me back to my days as an undergrad, working part-time as a baker for the Skonsen Smorgasbord in DeKalb, IL. Master Baker Ross Stone inspired me to learn secrets of good yeast baking. During the Lenten season, I would turn out hundreds of Hot Cross Buns! I have such fond memories of Easter baking.

Sharing a hot cross bun is supposed to ensure friendship throughout the coming year, particularly if you repeat
"Half for you and half for me,
Between us two shall goodwill be."


Wishing you good digestion!

Chef Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment